The project “TEEB-Russia – Ecosystem Services Evaluation in Russia: First Steps” aims to develop a methodology for assessing ecosystem services (ES) and biodiversity of Russia.
The project was initiated in 2013 by the Biodiversity Conservation Center (Moscow) in cooperation with the Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (Dresden) in accordance with the decision (of May 23, 2012) of the permanent Russian-German working group “Conservation of Nature and Biological Diversity”.
The project is commissioned by the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN) with funds from the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and is also supported by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation.
TEEB-Russia 1 (2013–2016)
Ecosystem services of terrestrial ecosystems of Russia: first steps
In the first phase of the project (2013-2015), Volume 1 of the Prototype Report considering terrestrial ES was created. The following main results were obtained:
– an ES classification adapted to Russian conditions was developed;
– possible approaches to qualitative and quantitative evaluation of ES at the national level were demonstrated;
– the most important ES of the Russian regions were assessed quantitatively in scientific indicators or were scored in terms of natural and socioeconomic factors that determine the supply and use of ES;
– the regions were compared with respect to the balance of natural factors determining ES supply and socioeconomic factors determining ES use.
TEEB-Russia 2 (2018–2019)
Assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services in the Russian Federation - management principles and international processes
The goal of the project is to assess the value of biodiversity and ecosystems of Russia for maintaining ES and to formulate principles for managing ecosystems of Russia.
The main objectives of the project:
– development of a methodological framework and a set of indicators of biodiversity and ES, taking into account international standards and the specifics of Russian conditions;
– identification of the relationship between indicators of biodiversity and ES in model areas;
– formation of proposals on the optimal management of biodiversity and ES at the national level.